2 pork or lamb chops
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
4 Tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, preferably chipolini
4 oz. nameko or other mushrooms
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup white dry wine like pinot grigio
additional salt and pepper to taste
- Take chops out a few hours ahead of time, then place sprinkle with 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. salt, black pepper, and 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Let sit covered in the refrigerator for at least a few hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat pan on medium to medium/high. When hot but not smoking yet add 1 Tbsp. olive oil and marinated chops. Brown chops on both sides, then place in oven for 15 minutes, or until cooked through.
- While the chops are in the oven, heat another pan on medium heat. Add remaining olive oil and chopped onions. Saute until carmelized, stirring occasionally. Turn down the heat a little as needed.
- While onions are cooking, heat yet another pan on medium heat. Add butter, then mushrooms and a pinch of salt, stirring every couple of minutes until soft, but not browned.
- Cook for about 5 minutes or until soft, then add cream and wine and sauteed onions. Cook until thickened and tasty!
- Spoon mushroom sauce over chops. Delicious on creamy (or fried) polenta and served with seasonal bitter lettuces, sliced radishes, and a sharp vinaigrette. Enjoy!