This summer we’re teaming up again with CSA (community supported agriculture) vegetable farms to bring local log-grown mushrooms to families on a bi-weekly basis. CSAs are generally paid for in advance and give families a full growing season’s worth of vegetables and sometimes fruit. We offer a mushroom “add-on,” where you can pay an additional amount so that you’ll also receive a share of local high quality mushrooms to your CSA! We’ve had these mushroom “add-ons” for many years now, but this year we’ll be offering our own mushroom farm share – for pick up at the Mill City Farmers Market! Click here for more details on our direct mushroom farm share.
Here are the basics of both the add-on (through veggie CSAs) and our own farm share:
– several bi-monthly shares added to your CSA box. Generally 8 to 10, this depends on the length of your vegetable CSA. You will get a selection of fresh log-grown shiitake, oyster, lion’s mane, and other cultivated and foraged mushrooms like hen of the woods and chanterelles.
– Each share includes about a quarter pound of mushrooms per share. Preparing mushrooms (even rare ones) isn’t as challenging as you may think. It’s sometimes as simple as sauteeing them in butter or olive oil with some garlic and eating them on a baguette or pasta. Still, we provide a recipe for each mushroom delivery that should give you an idea of how to make the most of the mushrooms you’re getting! You’ll also be added to our newsletter, so that you get regular updates about our farm and happenings at the farmers market.
– On the first week we’ll be treating you with one of our reishi mushroom brownies, and concluding with a 1/4 lb. jar of smoked shiitake mushroom butter, or another of our delicious mushroom butters or spreads. Our mushroom farm share will also include a package of dried mushrooms (to enjoy over the fall or winter!).
– Some CSA seasons are longer, but here’s an example of a full mushroom share (8 deliveries over 16 weeks) through one of our veggie CSA partner farms from 2018:
- June 26 – Oyster mushrooms and a reishi mushroom brownie
- July 10 – Gray oyster mushrooms
- July 24 – Chicken of the Woods mushrooms
- August 7 – Lion’s Mane and Shiitake mushrooms
- August 21 – Hen of the Woods (Maiitake) mushrooms
- September 4 – Golden oyster mushrooms
- September 19 – Shiitake mushrooms
- September 25 – blend of Shiitake, Oyster, and Nameko, and a jar of porcini pate.
– This year (2020) you’ll be getting mushrooms monthly if you’re a part of Shared Ground Farmers Coop , and you’ll be able to sign up for mushroom shares through the following CSA farms:
If you’re not part of one of these veggie CSAs, but would like a regular supply of mushrooms throughout of the summer, you can purchase a mushroom farm share directly through us, for pick up at the Mill City Farmers Market. Click here for more details!
Contact Farmer Jeremy McAdams at 612-205-8599 or fill out the form below:
Cherry Tree House Mushrooms LLC, 827 15th St., Clayton, WI, 54004