This summer we’re teaming up again with CSA (community supported agriculture) vegetable farms to bring local log-grown mushrooms to families on a bi-weekly basis. CSAs are generally paid for in advance and give families a full growing season’s worth of vegetables and sometimes fruit. We offer a mushroom “add-on,” where you can pay an additional amount so that you’ll also receive a share of local high quality mushrooms to your CSA! This is what it looks like:
– several bi-monthly shares added to your CSA box. Generally 8 to 10, this depends on the length of your vegetable CSA.
– You will get a selection of fresh log-grown shiitake, oyster, lion’s mane, and other cultivated and foraged mushrooms like hen of the woods and chicken of the woods.
– Each share includes a quarter pound of mushrooms (may be a little less with certain mushrooms) per share. Preparing mushrooms (even rare ones) isn’t as challenging as you may think. It’s sometimes as simple as sauteeing them in butter or olive oil with some garlic and eating them on a baguette or pasta. Still, we provide a recipe for each mushroom delivery that should give you an idea of how to make the most of the mushrooms you’re getting! In 2019 you’ll be added to our newsletter with news of the farm and farmer’s markets.
– On the first week we’ll be treating you with one of our reishi mushroom brownies, and concluding with a jar of powdered shiitake (add to popcorn, meatloaf, or soups) and a 3.5 oz jar of smoked shiitake mushroom butter, or another of our delicious mushroom butters or spreads.
– Some CSA seasons are longer, but here’s an example of a full mushroom share (8 deliveries over 16 weeks) through one of our veggie CSA partner farms from 2018:
- June 26 – Oyster mushrooms and a reishi mushroom brownie
- July 10 – Gray oyster mushrooms
- July 24 – Chicken of the Woods mushrooms
- August 7 – Lion’s Mane and Shiitake mushrooms
- August 21 – Hen of the Woods (Maiitake) mushrooms
- September 4 – Golden oyster mushrooms
- September 19 – Shiitake mushrooms
- September 25 – blend of Shiitake, Oyster, and Nameko, and a jar of porcini pate. This year we’ll be receiving a jar of our powdered shiitake in lieu of fresh mushrooms on the last week – to add that extra umami and mushroom flavor to popcorn, meatloaf, or soups.
– This year (2019) we will have mushroom CSAs through Steady Hand Farm, Blackbrook Farm, Burning River Farm, and Tangletown Gardens. We’re also welcoming members of Farm Farm, Growing Lots Urban Farm and Open Arms CSAs!
Contact Farmer Jeremy McAdams at 612-205-8599 or fill out the form below:
Cherry Tree House Mushrooms LLC, 827 15th St., Clayton, WI, 54004